Tuesday, June 21, 2011

"Look What I Drawed"


Random thought: Garth Williams was one of my favorite artists. A number of great childhood reads were further brought to life with his drawings. Stuart Little, Charlotte's Web, the Laura Ingalls books, The Cricket in Times Square and related animal adventures. Reading about Chester Cricket made me dream of one day writing and illustrating my own children's books. Of course, watching Indiana Jones made me dream of one day becoming a rip-roaring archaeologist, but....

I guess I'm disconnected from the whole children's literature scene now. I know Harry Potter has been popular, obviously, as well as other books about dangerous magical escapades and themes of self-worth (or perhaps self-love would more accurately describe it). Does anyone even write about animals anymore? Or are they not cool and "dark" enough for those over the age of six? =P Well, Narnia is both dark and dangerous and cuddly and loving, and it's still popular. But I'm getting off track. Garth Williams rocks.

1 comment:

  1. there are some good animal themed books for kids out there..but it does seem like the trend is subject matter moving toward the dark and mystical. sadly, i think it reflects on how society treats kids in general, exposing them to more "excitement" and darker themes earlier and earlier...not letting them stay innocent and carefree for very long, and if they do happen to be "decent", "edifying", or "wholesome", well..that's just not "cool."
    working with preschoolers, i have read some ridiculously dumb books for young kids. it's amazing what gets published. the literary world can always use more good stories & great artwork!

    ReplyDelete